Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 01:13:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/shutdown.d not in bsd

>> Being used to /etc/shutdown.d in SysV, I can't understand BSD can
>> do without it.
>> In sysV, /etc/shutdown.d contains scripts to shutdown system
>> services etc. at shutdown in a proper and orderly way; the scripts
>> are executed in alfabetical order.
> Because the system will shut them down for you.  When the system is
> halted, every process is sent a SIGTERM (signal 15).  most processes will
> then exit gracefully.  (Some evil ones that mask SIGTERM then get a
> SIGKILL to finish them off).

He means to ensure that, for instance, a process which dies with
runtime summaries is killed before syslogd; a client which send a
shutdown message to its server is killed before PPP, etc.

This is done by /etc/rc.shutdown, as mentioned in init(8).

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan