Date:      Tue, 09 May 2000 16:33:52 -0400
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>, "current@FreeBSD.ORG" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Abit BP6 - UDMA66 and non IBM disks

Alan Cox wrote:

> About two days ago, I tested a machine with four IDE drives
> each on its own cable as the master.  All four drives were:
>
> ad0: 29311MB <Maxtor 53073U6> [59554/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA66
>
> I used the motherboard controller to support two of the drives.  It was a
>
> atapci0: <Intel ICH ATA66 controller> port 0xffa0-0xffaf at device 31.1 on pci0
>
> and a Highpoint-based ATA66 controller for the other two drives.  The
> Highpoint locked up with the "resetting devices" message as soon
> as the system was stressed.  I replaced the Highpoint controller
> with a Promise ATA66 and didn't see any problems after that.  (I've
> never seen any problems with the Maxtor's on the Intel ATA66 controller
> either.)
>
> In summary, same disks, three different controllers, problems only
> occur with the Highpoint controller.  (I believe the Abit BP6 uses
> the Highpoint controller.)

I use the BP6 with FreeBSD-current and Slackware. The Highpoint works
great with FreeBSD however I have a problem with the Maxtor running fsck
under Linux. This has occurred since the beginning of support for the
Highpoint. I have used Hedricks patches and nagged him about problems
but the only remaining issue is fsck. It works perfectly with the PIIX
controller. Benchmarks sizzle with the Maxtor/Highpoint almost 24MB/sec
so the tradeoff is acceptable(to me). The best the IBM could muster was
20MB/sec. The Maxtor/PIIX runs a little over 19MB/sec occasionally
hitting 20MB/sec.

Regards,
--
Ted Sikora