Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 12:43:31 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   swap info: 'ps' as opposed to 'limits'

Pardon my ignorance:

I'm trying to corral bloated processes, WRT swap usage.  I wish to
control them via 'limits'.

However, I'm (in my ignorance) unable to map the attributes that
'ps' can report on, ie.:

  # ps -opid,rss,rsz,vsz,command

  (there are others, of course)

To the attributes that can be controlled via the setrlimit(2)
utilities (ulimits, limits, et al.)

  RLIMIT_DATA	datasize
  RLIMIT_RSS	memoryuse
  RLIMIT_STACK	stacksize

  (there are others, of course)

Does anyone have any quickie pointers?

I _think_ some comination of rss or rsz -> memoryuse will be what
I want, but I don't know how to infer stack usage via 'ps'.  And
what is 'vsz' (virtual size) anway, WRT setrlimit?

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842