Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: F1.17 (was Re: C2 Trusted FreeBSD?)

On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I doubt that any country's military budget (or just the hardware part
> > of it) is larger than that of the United States.
>
> Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant this as a percentage of
> GNP.  Do you happen to know who the highest military spenders by GNP
> currently are?  You appear to have good access to statistical
> data. ;-)
>
> 					Jordan

Here's a list (who's buying? ) as a percentage of GNP as of 1994
(world average 3.0 in 1994, down from 3.3 in 1993):

KoreaN		26.3
Iraq		18.0
SaudiArabia	14.2
Russia		12.4
Coatia		9.0
Israel		8.6
Syria		8.3
Brunei		7.9
Jordan		7.5
Laos		7.4
UAE		5.7
Greece		5.6
Taiwan		4.8
US		4.3
Egypt		4.1
KoreaS		3.7
France		3.4
UK		3.3
Georgia		3.1
India		2.9
CzechRep	2.7
Australia	2.6
Iran		2.4
China		2.4
Denmark		1.9
Germany		1.8
Canada		1.8
Cuba		1.6
Indonesia	1.4
Japan		1.0
Austria		1.0
Uzbekistan	0.7
Kyrgyzstan	0.7
Ukraine		0.6
Mexico		0.6
Columbia	n.a.

These are from the 1997 Britannica book of the year.  Russia used to
be up there with North Korea, so they're on a downward skid.
These numbers are mostly self-reported; they're based, I think, on
a National Income and Products Accounts approach, which is somewhat
different from the primarily cash basis that I was using for the
U.S. budget numbers.  Also any country that drafts and underpays its
military personnel is really using more in resources than the numbers
reflect.  And I may have missed some countries spending a high
percentage of GNP.

What's perhaps more interesting (and the reason I looked this stuff
up for the first time a few years ago) was that I was curious which
"Western" country had the second-largest military....I suspected Japan,
and this turned out to be the case.  Anyway the Britannica 1997
book gives population and military expenditures
translated (at some exchange rate--an official one no doubt) into U.S.
dollars.  That's really pretty crude (are there any significant
digits?) but this is the result:

Country			U.S. $ (billions) (1994)

US			293.3
Russia			95.8