Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 13:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Anyone useing an ADIC FastStor tape changer successfully?

Just received an ADIC FastStor tape drive & changer; trying to use
the "ch" driver on a 2.2.6-RELEASE system, and running into oddnesses
& some problems.

"chio status " & "chio params" seem to work OK, as does moving a
cartridge from a slot to the drive ("chio move slot 0 drive 0").

However, trying to move a cartridge from the drive to a slot fails, with
an "Invalid argument":

> chio params
/dev/ch0: 7 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker
/dev/ch0: current picker: 0
> chio status
picker 0:
slot 0: <ACCESS>
slot 1: <ACCESS,FULL>
slot 2: <ACCESS,FULL>
slot 3: <ACCESS,FULL>
slot 4: <ACCESS,FULL>
slot 5: <ACCESS,FULL>
slot 6: <ACCESS,FULL>
drive 0: <ACCESS,FULL>
> chio move drive 0 slot 0
chio: /dev/ch0: CHIOMOVE: Invalid argument
> tail -1 /var/log/messages
Aug 12 12:47:00 shrimp /kernel: ch0(ahc1:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:3b,90 Vendor Specific ASCQ

I'm prowling through chio.c, ch.c, & related sources, but
short-circuiting the search would be heartily appreciated.

Oh -- one other thing that I noticed that seemed a little odd.  The unit
responds to an "mt offl" command by effectively offlinging the drive all
right, but doesn't eject the cartridge from the drive (let alone put it
back in its slot or load the next cartridge).  Maybe I'm just confused,
as this is my first experience with DLT equipment; my 4mm DDS stacker
at home responds nicely to "mt offl"....  :-}

Tips & hints welcome....

Thanks,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621