Date:      Sat, 4 May 2002 15:22:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "BSD Questions" <bsdquestions@connect1.ca>
To:        <mark@ackroyd.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: User Configuration help.

What you want to do is add the mark user to the wheel group.  To do this
you have to login as root, and edit the /etc/group file.

the top line should look something like this.

wheel:*:0:root,mark

When you save it, you will be able to su to root.

A good way to check a users group priviledges is to use the id command.  so
at the prompt, you type

bash#: id mark
uid=2030(mark) gid=2030(mark) groups=2030(mark), 0(wheel)

you should see some output like this, with the wheel group showing up.

Hope this helps

Frank Auciello