Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:10:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switching to if_xname from if_name and if_unit

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:09:49 -0700, "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com> said:
>
> > I've always wondered why interfaces have names at all.  They should be
> > identified
> > by port IMHO, and the name is just something you query on the port.
> > Then the names could be meaningful strings.
>
> What do you mean ``identified by port''?  A name is still a name even
> if you call it a ``port''.

I suppose by 'port' he means something like Linux's 'netx' method of
naming devices exposing an ethernet interface.

So you could do something like this to determine details of the actual
card:

# ifconfig net0 query-if-info
Device 'net0' uses driver 'rl (RealTek 8029/8039)'
PCI bus, slot 3, device 0
PCI vendor ID 0x1234 device ID 0x5678 subdevice ID 0x0001