Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2007 15:26:49 +0900
From:      Hye-Shik Chang <perky@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Botero-Lowry <alexbl@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New patch to upgrade python to 2.5

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:25:59PM -0800, Alexander Botero-Lowry wrote:
> > Hi guys
> >
> > Sorry for my late response to the recent python problems.
> > I just prepared a patch to switch default version to 2.5.  The patch
> > also includes a fix for 2.5 migration problems related to egginfo
> > and setuptools.
> Yay! I've been waiting for you to show up to work this out, been afraid
> to go at it all on my own.

Thanks for the patience and efforts for the past months. :-)

> >  * ${PREFIX}/bin/python may not be available even though a consumer
> >    port used USE_PYTHON.  It'll be need to use the filename including
> >    python version (eg. python2.5) in scripts or shebang lines.
> >    ${PYTHON_CMD} is provided by bsd.python.mk for this purpose.
> >
> I think in all honesty we need to have something linked to
> $LOCALBASE/bin/python always. There are too many situations where people
> might have non ports managed stuff installed that has a shebang for a
> simple python binary, and even cases where python is invoked more directly
> that cause issues. I see this is also causing a problem for committers and
> submitters that have to patch or sed _every_ shebang line in existence
> instead of just getting a simple solution to the problem.

Okay.  I found the way adopted by ruby ports would be also useful
for python ports.  I'll try to implement a similar system soon.

> >  * setuptools support is added.  USE_PYDISTUTILS=easy_install
> >    invokes setuptools installation phases and it'll add setuptools
> >    registration/unregistration command to plist automatically.  When
> >    the binary package is architecture-dependent, port must define
> >    PYEASYINSTALL_ARCHDEP to match the egg name.
> >
> Does this provide a solution for the make -V BLAH_EGG hack that has been
> proliferating in ports (where one port depends on an egg of another port
> so it has to get the egg name from the other port using make -V. I believe
> py-django does this.)

Can't py-django use a versioned dependency instead?
For eg. in py-twistedCore:

BUILD_DEPENDS=  ${PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX}zopeInterface>=3.3.0_1:${PORTSDIR}/devel/py-zopeInterface

I think the most usecases of the hack can go away using that way.

Hye-Shik