Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:25:53 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>, educatee2001@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any mail server software that could run on FreeBSD?

Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net> types:
> Qmail and postfix are MUCH easier to configure and Postfix was written
> with security in mind from the beginning by the guy at IBM who brought
> us tcpwrappers, so tends to do the right things from the start with
> little chance of buffer overflow problems and the like.

Qmail was also written from the ground up with security in mind, and
Dan's credentials are pretty good, though he does tend to grate a lot
of people the wrong way.

If you upgrade your FBSD regularly and can run an out of the box
sendmail configuration, you get the advantage of someone else's
efforts at tracking bugs and incorporating features (I'd not call them
features) such as ORBs.

The closest thing to an official recommendation I've found is this
line from the -questions mail:

I.e. - the FreeBSD mail servers are running postfix. Next time I have
some spare time and a need to play with mail servers, I'm probably
going to look into postfix.

	<mike