Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2013 04:53:12 -0400
From:      "Sam Fourman Jr." <sfourman@gmail.com>
To:        Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port Build options

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Stan Gammons <s_gammons@charter.net>wrote:

> When one builds a port manually with make install clean or uses
> portmaster to build a port, does one typically select ALL of the compile
> options?  Which also leads to another question, are the pre-built
> packages that are installed with pkg_add or pkgng compiled with ALL of
> the options?
>

> Stan

Stan,

This is a interesting question and one that I struggled with back when I
first came to open source YEARS ago...
what time and experience will taught me is that, more is almost ALWAYS, NOT
better... so really there is no upside at all to building all of the ports
with all of the options... even if it COULD be done...

on FreeBSD, I can tell you that the packages are build with the default
options... that is to say... when you type "make install" if the port has
options, whatever is "checked" when the screen comes up, is what the
package would have...

At first I didn't "get it" I was like, why can't they just have all the
options enabled... but as time went on and I learned more... this is in no
way practical, and in many cases its not possible, because the options
"conflict"... some options are poorly tested, and lead to stability
issues...
the more systems I setup, and the more time passed... I REALLY started to
gain a respect the ports system... and truly understand what it means to
install a customized system...

so in short, if you don't need something don't  check it.. this is by
design, and in this case "less" really is better.
--

Sam Fourman Jr.