Date:      Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:06:43 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>, eivind@yes.no, shimon@simon-shapiro.org, kgor@inetspace.com, roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do you increase available SYSV shared memory?

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Mar 21:
> That said, I believe there are currently reasons, until you can use
> a procfs call to adopt a copy-on-write region as a non-copy-on-write

so we need to have a way for procfs to list all the file descriptors
that are owned by the process so that you can mmap them
MAP_{SHARED,PRIVATE} to their hearts content?

> region in another process (ie: copy the pages if they are /dev/zero
> pages, but share them otherwise), that SYSV SHMEM is actually a
> better (in terms of performance) technology.

what's wrong with a unix domain socket and passing the file descriptor
through the socket?

--
  John-Mark Gurney                      Modem Rev/FAX: +1 541 346 9237
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD
	    Don't trust anyone you don't have the source for