Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 00:08:11 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>, Robert Small <rsmall@pwahec.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guidance with Sendmail or Qmail

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> Well it's a matter of opinion, but I found sendmail a royal pain to
> configure if you want anything different from the default
> configuration

	Trying to convince someone to change mailers is always a fruitless
task, but I couldn't let some of this slip.

> -- eg if you want to send everything through your ISP's
> mail relay upstream, rather than directly to the recipient hosts.

	Actually this is quite easy to do just by editing the sendmail.cf file.
Just add your ISP's mailhost to the 'DS' line, where DS stands for
"Define Smarthost." Ex.

DSyourisp.mail.host

> It's claimed that the m4 files make it easier, but I just couldn't
> seem to generate a sendmail.cf from them that did what I wanted it to
> do.

	IMO the m4 syntax only replaces one difficult to understand
configuration syntax for another one, but it does have some value.

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire