Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2011 20:31:35 +0400
From:      Lystopad Olexandr <laa@laa.zp.ua>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Lystopad Olexandr <laa@laa.zp.ua>
Subject:   Re: ZFS root on MB Intel S3420GP

 Hello, Jeremy Chadwick!

On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 07:21:35AM -0700
freebsd@jdc.parodius.com wrote about "Re: ZFS root on MB Intel S3420GP":
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 04:32:32PM +0400, Lystopad Olexandr wrote:
> > I have this hardware:
> >
> > smbios.system.maker="Intel Corporation"
> > smbios.system.product="S3420GP"
> >
> > with 4G ram and 4x WD 500G drives.
> >
> > I try both raids in the bios, in both cases i try raid 10.
> > I.e. I have 1Tb ar0 device.
>
> I strongly urge you to remove use of Intel RST[1].  It's been confirmed
> many times over[2] that FreeBSD's support for it is broken in many
> regards.  You are putting your data at extreme/great risk using it.
> Something as simple as a single-disk failure could result in the
> *entire* loss of your array.  You will need to read the PRs listed at
> Wikipedia slowly, and in full to understand the nature of the problem.
> Do not skim them.
>
> I cannot stress the importance of this enough.  This is not a joke nor
> is it overblown.  I recommend you rely on ZFS entirely, and run your
> SATA controller in AHCI mode instead.  My personal recommendation would
> be to use UFS for your root filesystem (or even gmirror) and use ZFS for
> the rest.

Jeremy, thank you very much!

I remove intel raids and move to ahci already.
I install freebsd 8.2-amd64 on that box and about to make gmirror
with 4 disks. :-)

Is it possible to remote migrate to zfs? I have access to this
server remotely, and do not have local access. This server with 4
disks, and I can do anything with 3 of disks. Now there installed
8.2-amd64 on ad4.

> With regards to AHCI mode: Most of us strongly advocate use of ahci.ko
> (not ataahci.ko; they differ), which does SATA<->CAM translation.  You
> also gain NCQ capability using this.  Be aware your disks will appear as
> "adaX" (not a typo), and you will use "camcontrol" (rather than
> "atacontrol") to maintain them.  Utilities like smartmontools do work
> with this.  Many of us (users and developers) have been using ahci.ko
> reliably for 1-2 years now.

Simply add ahci_load="YES" in loader.conf? Or something else?

> > After reading http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/RAIDZ1 I
> > try to install FreeBSD on this box, but I change ad0..ad1.. to my
> > ar0 device. I try to have zfs on intel raid10.
> >
> > All commands run successfully, but after reboot I have:
> >
> > gptzfsboot no zfs pools located: can't boot
> >
> > What mistake I made?
> >
> > What best solution with my hardware exist?
>
> I imagine what you're trying to accomplish won't work given that the
> disk geometry and other mechanics are completely lost given use of
> Intel RST, and *especially* with regards to the boot sequence.
>
> Furthermore, the bootstraps you're using imply use of GPT; did you
> configure your setup using GPT?  I'm guessing not.

I make all steps in url in first my mail.

Am I wrong?

> [1]: Known as "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", "Intel MatrixRAID",
> "Intel HostRAID", "Intel Embedded Server RAID Technology", "Intel Matrix
> Storage RAID Technology", and many other terms.  Intel keeps changing
> the term/labelling of this BIOS-level RAID, almost certainly for
> marketing purposes.

:-(((  I dont know...

--
 Lystopad Olexandr