Date:      Mon, 27 May 2013 12:12:44 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
Cc:        amd64@FreeBSD.org, toolchain@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] gcc: support for barcelona

On 27 May 2013, at 09:41, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello;
>=20
> Almost a year ago I tried to bring in the support for AMD's barcelona
> chipset into our gcc. This actually filled a lot of holes in that were =
left
> when similar intel support was brought in.
>=20
> Unfortunately I had to revert rapidly such support as it broke =
building
> some C++ ports even when it was not being used.
>=20
> jkim@ did some cleanup of the support and the patch has been
> gathering rust here:
>=20
> http://people.freebsd.org/~jkim/reworked-r236962-3.diff
>=20
> The patch still applies cleanly and there is a good chance it will =
work
> since there have been other fixes merged since the last time.
>=20
> I did some basic testing and so far it works for me but I don't have
> the specific chipset. Additional testing would be welcome.

I have to question the general direction of this work. We switched to =
Clang as the default compiler for i386/amd64 some months ago and now =
you're working on improving our base GCC especially for amd64? I don't =
really understand how useful this is. It doesn't strike me as a good =
idea to see people working on things that will eventually be replaced / =
removed.

Regards,
--
Rui Paulo