Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:09:57 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

On 5 Apr 2002, at 16:37, Mike Meyer boldly uttered:

> In <20020405102702321.AAA393@empty1.ekahuna.com@pc02.ekahuna.com>, Philip J. Koenig <pjklist@ekahuna.com> typed:
>
> Most of the lists I'm on - even discounting the freebsd one - do
> that. On the other hand, most of them have also moved from being
> completely open to requiring confirmation to subscribe because of the
> problem of malicious subscriptions.
>
> A few have recently moved from that to an intermediate position, which
> I really like. All subscribers can post. If you aren't a subscriber,
> you have to confirm that the post isn't spam before it's accepted. I'd
> love to see freebsd move to such a system for everything but -questions.

I think that's a reasonable way to do it.

> > I stand by my contention that allowing anyone to post is just an
> > invitation to spamming the list. (or an invitation to draconian anti-
> > spam filters to mitigate the spam, with the result that innocent
> > users get their traffic bounced)
>
> In that case, there are a lot of lists that invite anyone to spam the
> list. But they don't get as much spam as the freebsd lists.

Everyone and every list is getting much more spam these days.  Some
statistics are saying it's more than doubled in 6 months.

http://news.com.com/2009-1023-864815.html

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium