Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 1998 12:47:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?=A3ukasz_Misiuda?= <luk@albion.albion.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd not working

Hello!

I've decided to write to You, because all possibilities that I could
tried faild.

Shortly - my network

LAN - ed0 - ethrnet
WAN - ppp0 - leased line (pppd)

when system starts rc.network starts pppd to my provider, and I get
address of his and mine.

I followed all suggestions in 'man', e.g.:

-kernel with IPFIREWALL, and IPDIVERT
-ip forwarding
-ipfw rule: ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via ppp0
-starting natd (from console): natd -v -n ppp0

My system is 2.2.7-stable

To be correct. So far all computers in LAN have inet addresses,
so I've assigned the same IP to ed0 (from ppp0). I've assigned
192.168.1.1 address to ethernet also. Now some computers have
addresses from 192.168.1.0 network, and some still have
inet addressess to network work continuosly,
and what I expect is to translate that addresses (192.168.1.0/24) to the
address of ppp0.

Unfortunally it works in quite strange way.

Addressess from inet are aliased to themselves,
and addresses from 192.. are not even beinig noticed, and are
passed with 192. in their headres to the world, natd enen don't see it.

I don't know what to do.

I've tried to make rules for ipfw so that packets received from ed0
are passed to port of natd, but this did not work. I've tried to put the
intet address of ed0 down (so that packets could not go through lo0 in
some way ?) and leave only 192... address on the ethernet, failed.

I've read that user ppp can do it internally (-alias option ?),
but it does not help me, because we plan to move from leased line to
ethernet to access the world.

Please help me spot the problem, or maybe it does not work yet??

Łukasz Misiuda