Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:49:02 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Jaroslav Klaus <J.Klaus@sh.cvut.cz>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XFree or MPEG player performance

The only think that I can think is that Xing's player is more
efficient than mtv .

On the XFree86 side the thing to look for when you start the X server
is if linear mapping is enabled and Shared memory is enabled.
If you don't know if linear mapping is enabled just do a man
on XF86_S3.

If the X server can not enabled  shared memory it will report
so upon startup .

The Xing's folks are MPEG experts and they have spent quite a bit
of time optimizing  both the audio and video decoding components.

So at this stage your best bet is to bug the author of mtv:
Tristan Savatier <tristan@bok.net>

	Amancio