Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 10:55:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        Lanny Baron <lnb@satan.freebsdsystems.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Staroffice Networking Non-functional

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Joe Oliveiro wrote:

> I find so52 to be like its own wm. I would like to see each program to run
> on its own :)

I hear that.... basic unix philosophy...  Oddly enough, the Windows
version does the same thing and I've found it scares casual
users by replacing their familiar desktop. 8-) However, it works
rather well for supplying common document compatability with the
Microsoft stuff on *nix. . Koffice looks very promising also.
They do it right, one app at a time! However, KDE on FreeBSD
is a little shakey at the moment and also, koffice can't write
M$Office file types. I think it just reads them. For their
first effort, it's really impressive, though.

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Lanny Baron wrote:
>
> > Hello Jim,
> > I have the same problem and have asked if there is a cure. Unfortunately, the
> > person who maintains the port, is away until January 2001. I really like so52
> > but its frustrating as hell to have to run netscape over it if you happen to
> > need infonet.
> >
> > If you happen to find the fix, please let me know. I will do same if I can
> > find cure.

I'll try to remember to do that.