Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 13:58:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Rob Hartill <robh@imdb.com>
To:        Steve Gailey <Steve.Gailey@db.com>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IBM Thinkpad 600

On Mon, 1 Nov 1999, Steve Gailey wrote:

> Has anyone had any success installing FreeBSD 3.X on one of
> these beasts?
>
> The machine just hangs and needs a physical reset during the
> probes, just after finding the CD. I have tried disabling not required
> for the install, but without any success.
>
> I am booting FreeBSD 3.3, from floppy (CD didn't work as it got
> confused about the disks). It does find the Hdd and CD-ROM ok,
> but hangs after that.
>
> Thanks for any help.

I have a Thinkpad 770 that showed similar hanging problems.

The cause is the Thinkpad's use of about 0.5mb of its memory for itself.
You need to boot with a kernel that doesn't try to use memory that's
reserved for the hardware.

When the Thinkpad boots, look to see how much memory is available. If you can,
create a boot disk with a kernel that has MAXMEM set to this number then
you should be ok.

I have 128mb (MAXMEM=131072) in my thinkpad but the kernel is
configured with MAXMEM=130496 (=127.4mb).

Maybe there's a boot option that'll let you set this so that you can
use an existing boot disk.

--
Rob Hartill
Internet Movie Database (www.moviedatabase.com). An Amazon.com company.