Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 17:21:41 -0600
From:      "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        "Joshua Lokken" <joloxbox@attbi.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installing BSD

Joshua Lokken said:

> > The 'hard error' pretty much indicates a bad disk.
> > Since the bad track (tn = 13) is at the beginning of
> > the disk, you might want to try to create a small FAT
> > slice to skip the bad track.
> >
> > If I were you, I would go buy and replace this dying
> > disk.
>
> In regards to your answer to this persons question, if I have a drive that
> know has some bad blocks, first, if I map the drive to skip these blocks,
how
> reliable is said drive, and second, how would I go about mapping the bad
> blocks with FreeBSD (which utility)?  Thanks in advance for any help you
> can give.

    From my understanding, IDE drives reserve certain space to remap
    bad blocks automatically.  For this error to show up, all the spare
    space must have been used up.  It also means that the drive is not
    able to deal with any new errors, and therefore any new errors will
    probably lead to filesystem corruption.

    If you value your time and data, I would strongly suggest you
    replace any drive showing errors.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

Segmentation Fault (core dumped)
This message is displayed using recycled electrons.