Date:      Wed, 10 May 95 12:46:10 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: A question of downloading device drivers

> >How about replacing it with the argument that the code can't be upgraded
> >without rebuilding the kernel?
>
> Neither can any other SCSI driver in the kernel.

But mom, Billy did it, why can't I?  8-)  8-).

That's an argument *against* the other code, not *for* the microcode.  8-P.

Note that I am *not* condemning the Adaptec code; by definition, anything
that works is better than anything that doesn't (that was the point I
attempted to make comparing licensing and the ability to boot at all).

On a related note, I wonder if you could have someone cede their rights
to source under GPL as part of a license for an agregated work... that
would allow binaries with GPL drivers without the other GPL baggage in
making them available for FTP.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---