Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 1997 12:44:45 +1030
From:      Martin Bull <martin@ching.apana.org.au>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        "Rick Robinson (Rick Robinson)" <gt9964a@prism.gatech.edu>, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spelling

Sean Kelly wrote:

> Rick Robinson (Rick Robinson) wrote:
>
> >          The possessive form of the third-person singular neuter pronoun --
> > a.k.a. "it" -- is spelled "its," not "it's."
> >         "It's" is a contraction of "it is."
>
> Absolutely right.  I dare you to find "it's" used improperly in the
> sections I've written.
>
> What's even more disheartening is how often I see "it's" used as
> possessive "it" in hand-written store signs, local organization
> newsletters---and much worse---mass media.  It probably won't be long
> until "it's" is accepted American English for either the possessive or
> the contraction, and "its" is incorrect altogether.  The end of the
> world should happen soon thereafter.  ;-)

Welcome to the "real" world, you might find this troubling but
anyhow....

We are ALL users of the language & therefore have an equal oppotunity
to change it. Latin is a dead language it will not change!
English as it is used in the four corners of the globe, will always be
evolving and changing and there isnt a damn thing you or anyone else
can do about it :-)
So my suggestion is take a deep breath and look back on the good old
days when people actualy cared about "The possessive form of the
third-person singular neuter pronoun"

Martin