Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 08:17:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the deal with cc? *CRAP*

> > > Well, the man page is not bvery useful,
>
> It's true, the section on the refuse files needs some fleshing out
> and some examples.  But hey, given that you're the guy who can
> churn out thousands of words a day here in these lists, why don't
> you write something up and send it to me? ;-)

Heh.  Because I have a tendency to document things as they should
be rather than as they are, and I hate troff?  8-) 8-).

Seriously, you might talk me into it, if I could get it to work,
but negative examples aren't teribly useful. 8-(.

> > > but I set the refuse pattern
> > > and it worked (mostly).  You apparently *must* use a wildcard in the
> > > pattern
>
> I think that for the Attic, and only for the Attic, you have to
> specify 2 patterns:
>
>   */Attic
>   */Attic/*
>
> This is a bug, but it's a forgivable bug (says the bugger :-) once
> you fully understand what's going on behind the scenes in order to
> match up the living files with their Attic counterparts.  The Attic
> is very special.

OK; I'll try it.  We'll see what happens...

> > Well, it looks like it grabs all Attic directories under the main
> > directory anyway.
>
> What do you mean by "main directory?"  /home/ncvs?  There isn't an
> Attic directory directly under /home/ncvs.  And any Attic
> directories lower down will get culled by the patterns above.

I used "*Attic*" in src/gnu and it suppressed the top level Attic
(src/gnu/Attic), but not all Attic's (src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/Attic).

> But as has been pointed out, you really don't want to suppress the
> Attic files.  They're just too essential to the proper working of
> CVS.

Heh.  Now you give *me* a break.  We're talking about the move of
GPL'ed code from "gnu" to "contrib" and basically total duplication
of the moved files at the tip.  Since GCC wasn't imported as a real
vendor branch (or it would have a larger CVS history), it's pretty
much a gratuitous change.  Happens to puke on hier(7), too, for that
matter.  So I definitely *don't* need the GNU attic files.

> > What a bunch of crap.  Why weren't these files
> > actually *moved* instead of being placed in an Attic (bleah, CVS).
>
> Moved to where?  "Cellar"?  "Cistern"?  "Outhouse"?  They have to be
> kept around someplace.

Physically rearrange the CVS repository to move them and their history
to the new location (sed script time) so that they aren't largely
duplicated, is what I meant.

God help us all when we have to move the kernel sources (10M or so,
checked out) to new locations to support SMP and multiple architectures.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---