Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        giles@nemeton.com.au (Giles Lean)
Cc:        dcv@panix.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape floating point exception

> On Mon, 8 Apr 1996 03:57:41 -0400 (EDT)  Dimitri Vlahakis wrote:
>
> > I've installed the netscape atlas beta into my freebsd 2.1 system using
> > the port makefile.  Unfortunately, whenever I try to run it I get the
> > opening window, but when I click on the window and it then tries to load
> > netscape's page it dumps core and exits with the message "floating
> > exception"  The same thing happened when I tried running netscape 2.1.
>
> I've seen this on a machine without a math co-processor (a 486SX)
> which was using the standard math emulator and the BSDI version of
> netscape.
>
> I would suggest trying the GNU math emulator, which is supposed to be
> more complete.  You need to re-configure your kernel to test this.
>
> [Regarding someone else's suggestion about limited memory: the 486SX
> has 20Mb, so I don't think that is the problem. :-]

There is something new in the Netscape home page causing floating
point exceptions for FreeBSD.  Specify an alternate homepage
(e.g. "netscape freebsd.org") to get off the ground.

--
Temporarily via "hdalog@zipnet.net"...

Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936
dufault@hda.com             Fax:   508 433 5267