Date:      Mon, 13 Sep 1999 18:57:52 +0800
From:      chas <panda@skinnyhippo.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   managing huge log files.

One of the websites I manage went ballistic 2 weeks
ago and has been producing 500+ MB of Apache logs
each day. May I ask how people are managing their
log files on high-traffic sites ?

Performance is key to me so I'm wary of running
log analysis software (such as analog) on the server if
there's even the possibility of it degrading performance.
For the same reason I haven't been doing real-time analysis
though I'm not sure if that's valid or not.

I've been rotating the logs daily, gzipping and moving
off the server but marketing bods want to have log analyses
done over the entire month (which is fair enough) as opposed
to daily reports. This could work out at 16 GB log files/month
once the daily reports are all concat'ed.

cheers,

chas