Date:      Fri, 12 May 95 03:38:57 +0000
From:      vernon@public.bta.net.cn
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   X-windows mouse problem

This is my second attempt at this question.  If anyone responded to my query the first
time around, I appoligize, but I did not receive your response.  If I am sending this
query to the wrong location, please indicate so and if possible provide me with an
appropriate E-mail address.

I have installed FreeBSD 2.0 and the associated X-Windows package on my computer system.
I have read the associated documentation and attempted several configurations to get the
X-Windows server to function properly on my system.  Currently I can run the X-Windows
server and it will come up, however the mouse does not function properly.  I have the
mouse configured as a PS/2 mouse (the correct configuration for my computer system).
The /dev/psm0 entry exists, but the mouse cursor does not respond to any mouse event.
I have attempted all the configuration options that I could think of and have consulted
the documentation that came with my the FreeBSD 2.0 version I am using (I purchased the
Walnut Creek CD-ROM) but I have not been able to get the mouse to work properly.  The
documentation I have indicates that you can cat from the device /dev/tty00 to check for
mouse events.  When I try this I get no visual reaction corresponding to mouse events.
I have also tried to cat from /dev/psm0 and /dev/mouse (both of which exist), but these
devices do not allow me to cat from them (unless I change the file attributes, and even
then I do not get any visual reaction for mouse events).

I am running FreeBSD 2.0 on a Gateway 2000 P5-75.  The system has a PS/2 mouse which
is detected properly by the other software I use (my primary 720MB HD is dedicated to
OS/2 v.3 - Warp - I run FreeBSD 2.0 from a second dedicated 450MB HD).  I see no
indication of the mouse being detected in the boot messages (I don't know if I should or
not).

I would greatly appreciate any additional ideas or help anyone can provide.

Regards, and to the FreeBSD 2.0 authors/contributers, thanks for the great work!

Vernon Stinebaker