Date:      Sat, 16 May 2020 11:51:22 +0200
From:      Thomas Zander <thomas.e.zander@googlemail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        allanjude@freebsd.org
Subject:   State of encrypted-almost-everything on ZFS in 2020

Hi,

can the following be done these days?
- Encrypted ZFS root pool on RAID-Z
- Supply the key for the encrypted root pool during boot via USB thumb drive
  - No keyboard is attached to the machine
  - No /boot on the thumb drive, just the key
- I don't mind if /boot is encrypted or not (the use case is not to
protect against nation state attackers)
- Bonus points if I can use bectl

Every single posting regarding this topic I can find always comes down to either
a) One needs /boot on the thumb drive, or
b) One uses a keyboard and supplies a passphrase instead of a keyfile.

I'd like to have a setup where essentially nothing is stored on the
USB drive except the keyfile.

Thank you and best regards
Riggs