Date:      27 Jul 1999 13:37:35 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@yes.no>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   replacing grep(1)

Jamie Howard (howardjp@wam.umd.edu), with a little help from yours
truly, has written a BSD-licensed version of grep(1) which has all the
functionality of our current (GPLed) implementation, plus a little
more, in one seventh the source code and one fourth the binary code.
What's more, the code is actually possible for mere mortals to read
and understand.

The source code is available for download from freefall:

 <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~des/software/grep-0.7.tar.gz>;

I move that we replace GNU grep in our source tree with this
implementation, once it's been reviewed by all concerned parties.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@yes.no