Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:54:45 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs, 1 gig of RAM and periodic weekly

On Feb 27, 2012, at 11:10 PM, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:

> Hi.
>=20
> On 28.02.2012 01:02, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
>> regardless of the pool size ?
>>=20
>> I was planning on making an atom board a file server for my home, and =
I have two options: soekris
>> net6501 2GB RAM and intel board powered by the 330 atom (says 2GB =
limited as well). My plans are
>> to use from 4 up to 8 disks, and they should be 2TB at least.
>>=20
>> As its for home use, some p2p software and mostly music listening and =
sometimes movie streaming.
>>=20
>> should 2GB be that bad, that I should drop it and use UFS instead ?
>>=20
>> I may run any version of FreeBSD on it, was planning on 9-STABLE or =
9.1.
>>=20
> In the same time I have a couple of hosts successfully running zfs on =
768 Megs and on 1 Gig of RAM. Both i386.
> And they aren't affected by the periodic weekly for some reason. And =
they are used only as fileservers.

Basically the same story here: I am using a FreeBSD/i386 system with 768 =
MB of RAM running RELENG_8 with 4 x 1 TB drives arranged as a RAIDZ1 =
vdev.  It is used as a Bacula server, backing up to the ZFS pool (with =
ZFS compression enabled).  It has been rock solid, and I've had no =
problems with any of the periodic jobs.

Here are the ZFS-related tunings I have in /boot/loader.conf:

vm.kmem_size=3D"640M"
vm.kmem_size_max=3D"640M"
vfs.zfs.arc_max=3D"512M"
vfs.zfs.txg.timeout=3D"5"

If you are planning on using P2P a lot, I had heard that large files =
fetched via Bittorrent can become very fragmented under ZFS (due to the =
COW nature of ZFS and the way Bittorrent fetches files), especially if =
the pool is very full, and so ZFS might not be the best thing to use if =
you are also planning on streaming these files, especially on modest =
hardware.  UFS might be preferable in these circumstances.

Cheers,

Paul.