Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:48:43 -0800
From:      "Maksim Yevmenkin" <Maksim.Yevmenkin@cw.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP in -direct mode does not execute any chat scripts

Dear Hackers,

I'm working on the Bluetooth stack for FreeBSD and currently
doing testing for new in-kernel RFCOMM code. RFCOMM is a way
to emulate serial link over Bluetooth.

In particular Bluetooth spec defines two RFCOMM based profiles
LAN (Network Access profile) and DUN (DialUp Networking profile).
Both profiles use PPP.

My current in-kernel RFCOMM code provides SOCK_STREAM sockets
interface, i.e. when application wants to talk RFCOMM it just
opens a socket. The next step is to run PPP, so the launcher
program opens RFCOMM connection then dup() socket to stdin and
stdout and exec() PPP in direct mode.

Everything works great for the LAN profile, where null-modem
connection is assumed and both client and server start talking
PPP right after RFCOMM connection is established.

However the DUN profile is more tricky. In this scenario client
just connected to the virtual serial port on the server. Now to
start PPP session client must "dial a number". i.e. there is
still need for a little chat script.

Here is an example:

1) I'd like to use my GPRS and Bluetooth enabled cell phone to
   access the Internet
2) I open a RFCOMM connection to the cell phone and get connected
   to the virtual serial port on the cell phone.
3) Now i must dial a "special" GRPS number, i.e. something like
   ATD*98***1# and wait for CONNECT string from the phone
4) Now i can talk PPP.

So the questions is: would it be possible to enable PPP chat=20
in "direct" mode? Is there any reason to not allow this? It
seems 'login' script would do just fine. Is there any other/
better way to do this? One possible option right now is to
execute /bin/chat from the launcher program before executing
PPP, but i'd rather keep all chat scripts in PPP.

thanks,
max