Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:17:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris H" <chris#@1command.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <kob6558@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

Greetings Kevin, and thank you for the reply.
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Chris H <chris#@1command.com> wrote:
>> Greetings Chris, and thank you for your reply.

>>> noticed

>>> scripts,
>>> I'm

>>> I'm sorry, but the exporter scripts were always a stopgap.
>>
>> That's what I was afraid I would hear. Recently, I was informed by SF.NET,
>> that my account would be upgraded, and all the projects I have, which all
>> use CVS, would be "upgraded" to SVN (which renders them useless). When I
>> asked why, they told me because CVS was so old. To which I stated:
>> Indeed, CVS is _quite_ old, and so is TCP/IP. Yet no one can seem live
>> without it.
>> Sigh...
>> IM(NS)HO; SVN is an inferior RCS created so Windows users wouldn't feel
>> left out.
>> Are there _any_ CVS servers/trunks/tree's left? If so, how _current_ are
>> they?
>
> Have you actually looked at subversion?

I have, tho not that recently.

> It is designed to be as close
> as possible to the CVS command structure.  I can't imagine what it has
> to do with Windows. It was originally written by the same people
> responsible for CVS and I am reasonably certain it was written on a
> Unix/Linux system.

Linux, actually. There were many arguments that, while it was designed to
overcome the perceived shortcomings of CVS, that in the end it also
created new ones. I was on the lists. I still have the threads, but have
had to archive my INBOX so many times over the years, I wouldn't know
which one to unpack, nor would I want to bog down the list with this
anyway. :)

> I converted all of my scripts from csup to svn in a matter of minutes.
> Converting my source and ports trees to svn took a bit longer, but was
> almost all in the time it took to copy the files. An 'svn up
> /usr/ports' pretty much replaces 'csup ports-supfile', but runs much
> faster.
>
> All of that said, I still use CVS for on thing, RANCiD. (It is a
> system for managing router and switch configurations).It can use
> either CVS or SVN, but I keep the data is CVS as there is considerable
> advantage to being able to grep through the delta files to looks for
> some bit that has long been deleted. (We have about15 years worth of
> router configurations in our archive.) But this is a special case. I
> would never recommend anyone use CVS for general purpose code
> management, (Not sure I'd recommend svn, either, but others are far
> more of a change from CVS.

You're making a pretty good argument here -- I hate to admit.

> Give it a try:
> rm -r /usr/src/* && rm /usr/src/.* && svn co
> svn://closest_mirror/base/stable/9 /usr/src
> Then replace csup with 'svn up /usr/src'
> Then, to update, `

I'm skeptical, but I'll look again. It's been awhile, maybe it's
much better than it was last I used it.

Thank you for all the helpful tips, and taking the time to respond.

Happy New Year, to you, and yours!

--Chris