Date:      Sat, 07 Nov 1998 19:30:47 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, jc@irbs.com, mike@smith.net.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dog Sloooow SMP

> Bruce Evans wrote:
> > >No idea.  I've received verification that fixing this for all 686-class
> > >CPUs seems to work (ie. it's OK on the Cyrix MII and doesn't appear to
> > >impact performance there), so the tests are now generalised for the
> > >entire 686-class.
> >
> > It's only OK for MII's because of various `#if 0's and `#ifdef SMP's
> > that prevent non-OK code from running on MII's.
>
> I think it should be CPU specific, not cpu class specific.  The
> model-specific-registers are very specific to the Intel family.  I'd be a
> lot happier if it was 'if (cpu == CPU_686 || cpu == CPU_PII) ...'  Of
> course, feature tests would be better.  'if (cpu_features & CF_PPRO_MSR)...'
> The problem is that there is a 'cpu_feature' already for the CPUID.  We
> need more general flags than what Intel choose to tell us.

*shrug*

If you have better documentation for what should and shouldn't be based
on the CPU class vs. CPU functionality, please illuminate us poor
mortals.  Meanwhile I'm simply trying to get back some of the
performance that seems to have been lost; I'll pull it back to two
comparisons against the P6 and PII if that's considered safer.