Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 10:19:59 -0500
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linksys NIC, was: Re: de ethernet driver -- another puzzle

Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> >> Printing out an error message when a PCI match fails would be stupid;

Yup; but then I said as much.

> >> every PCI device is (currently) presented to every PCI driver until one
> >> claims it.  Printing a message when the match failed ("no, not for me")
> >> would produce a useless spew of garbage.
> > You need a pseudo-device at the end of the inquiry chain to catch
> > id's that haven't been caught by the real drivers, and to print
> > out a message ("PCI: no driver: id xxx ...").
>
> That's catching the wrong set.

Yes and no.

> Kaleb wanted the to know the drivers without cards.

Not really. I wanted to know why the de driver wasn't recognizing my
NIC. According to the FAQ and the Handbook it is supposed to be the
driver for my card. Turns out it's not, but there ought to be a better
way to discover this than by sprinkling the kernel with printfs, or
try-each-one-until-one-succeeds, or
turn-everything-on-to-discover-which-it-is.

> You're giving us the set of cards without drivers.
> (This is also possibly a useful set, but not what kaleb wanted.)

Seems to me -- from the cursory look-see that I took while figuring out
my card -- that the PCI ethernet stuff could be unified into something
like a single pci (pseudo?) ethernet device. That could be fun to hack
on.

--
Kaleb