Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 09:07:03 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: zlib security advisory

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 06:59:24PM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:
> FWIW RH notes several things that either have their own copy of zlib
> that needs to be patched or that statically link and so need to be rebuilt.
>
> Has anyone produced such a list for FBSD, or is it not applicable to us?
>
> I suppose, to be safe, an inventory of ports needs to be done, too. Urk.

I have such a list generated from the packages found on
ftp2.freebsd.org.  I found approximately 774 binaries (some ports
including more than one executable or shared object, of course) that
referenced zlib in the packages.

I also searched the distfiles on ftp2.freebsd.org for applications that
included their own copy of zlib.  There are approximately 78 of those.

(The above numbers are from Feb 18.)

I did not count applications which statically link zlib.

I don't believe that we are affected, so the information did not turn
out to be very useful :-)

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos