Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:54:47 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        Matthew Luckie <mjl@nlanr.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip_output and ENOBUFS

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:06:19PM -0800, Lars Eggert wrote:
> >if you could suggest a few modifications that would be required, i'd like
> >to pursue this further.
>
> Look at tsleep/wakeup on ifnet of if_snd.

I am under the impression that implementing this mechanism would
not be so trivial. It is not immediate to tell back to the caller
on which interface ip_output() failed. Nor there is a common place
that i know of where you can be notified that a packet was successfully
transmitted -- i suspect you should patch all individual drivers.
Finally, there is the question on whether you do a wakeup as soon
as you get a free slot in the queue (in which case you most likely
end up paying the cost of a tsleep/wakeup pair on each transmission),
or you put some histeresys.

	cheers
	luigi