Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:37:26 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>, "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Subject:   Re: Apache_FP ?

"....you can't, however, make www.website.com/~username/ accessable by
frontpage.  you have to ftp the files in...."

This is not true. I make www.website.com/websitedir using FrontPage all the
time (for 5 years) now. They are "subwebs" or "child webs". I have one main
website with about 20 subwebs. Some are open and some require logins.

After creating a "new web" off of the main domain, you ask FPage to "list
webs" under www.website and it will show all its children or subwebs
separately... all of which may have separate logins for admin, authoring or
whatever. They may be "protected webs" that require a login to enter and
browse or may be open to all. During creation (or even afterwards) in
"tools/permissions" you can tell it to have "unique permissions" or have it
the same as the root.

At 05:09 PM 1.25.2002 -0500, Doug Reynolds wrote:
>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:31:55 -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
>
>>Can Apache_FrontPage have both apache web sites and FrontPage
>>web sites in the same base apache server?
>
>yes.  the root web spawns from the / dir for frontpage.
>
>your user accounts go under www.website.com/~username/
>
>it defaults to public_html, if you want to change it, search for
>userdir under the httpd.conf
>
>you can access the root web frontpage or from /usr/local/www/data (i
>believe).
>
>you can't, however, make www.website.com/~username/ accessable by
>frontpage.  you have to ftp the files in.
>
>you can also use virtual hosts to point to different directories under
>the fp structure.
>
>>Is there an admin interface to apache to automate the
>>creation and deletion of web sites?
>
>it is:
>
>/usr/local/frontpage/version4.0/bin/fpsrvadm.exe
>
>>Can Apache_FP have directory based web sites that would be
>>accessed by a url of this type http://www.domain.com/dir_name or
>>http://www.domain.com/tom.index  where domain points to the
>>apache server and (dir_name and tom.index) point to the
>>individual web sites inside the Apache server? If so can I see
>>a sample of the definition statements?
>
>answered above
>
>>Will doing a make deinstall on apache port will it also remove
>>all the web site definitions and data?
>
>shouldn't delete anything, but it'll kill the conf.
>
>>Read all the apache & FrontPage doc's on FBSD. Looking for a
>>how-to-do doc, does anybody know of any?
>
>none that i found, except for the default docs that apache installs.
>it will also point to microsofts front pages server extention info page
>---
>doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net
>
>PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"