Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:47:30 -0500
From:      web@3dresearch.com
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008794525.1d226c@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "libXext.so.6" not found

At 03:42 PM 12/14/2001, you wrote:
>web@3dresearch.com types:
> > I have installed vim-5.8.8 and when I attempt to run it I get:
> >
> > /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libXext.so.6" not found
> >
> > I wondered how can I fix this?
>
>At a guess, you installed the vim package but aren't using X.

Mike,

That's correct.

>You
>solve that by building the port with NO_GUI set. If that's not the
>case, tell us:
>
>How did you install vim-5.8.8? From the package, the port, or external
>sources?

I installed it from /stand/sysinstall

>Are you running it under X, or do you otherwise have X installed, and
>if so, which version?

No, I don't need or want X at all: This is an old Cyrix box, and the
purpose of learning FreeBSD :)

I have tried: make -v -E NO_GUI

But now I see that make is getting openmotif2.1.30.tar.gz - so it looks
like I used the wrong option for NO_GUI?

Many thanx for your help!

Janos Dohanics