Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2013 16:04:58 +0100
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>, marino@freebsd.org, lukasz@wasikowski.net
Subject:   Re: State of the Porters' Handbook

On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 15:56:46 +0100
Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 11:40:50AM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

> > > No, the port does that kind of thing in the stage directory.
> > > After everything is installed there in the stage directory, they
> > > are packaged or installed into the $PREFIX

> > > You really need to get a better grasp of the concept.  There are
> > > several emails from bapt that may help.  For new ports it's not
> > > "additional" work and for existing ports, yes there is a
> > > conversion but the benefits are worth it.

> > > Fine, but it's a huge topic that somebody has to write and
> > > validate. You're willing to criticize (justified) but unwilling
> > > to help rectify the problem.
> >
> > Well, bsd.stage.mk isn't well commented either. I think right now
> > only the person who implemented it could write reasonable
> > documentation.
> >
> > >  If you only want to complain, I think you've made your
> > > point (a point that everyone is already aware of).
> > >
> > > FYI, I have no dog in the hunt other than I believe stage is a
> > > welcome update to ports.
> >
> > 1. Implementation
> > 2. Testing
> > 3. Documentation
> > 4. Mandatory
> >
> > We're in stage 2 and it's already mandatory. I'm not against
> > staging, I'm against making things prematurely mandatory.
>
> With that kind of reasoning we get the ports tree we have now.
> Meaning a pile of inconsistent, inefficient things, and things like
> UNIQUENAME not being UNIQUE etc.
>
> the stage work is a 3 years work almost, that has been half
> abandonned, a lot of time.
>
> Documentation on how to convert has been done on the wiki before
> making staging mandatory and completed since.
>
> Documentation for the handbook is another beast because the whole
> handbook as to be touched and reviewed, and I ask a couple of time to
> people to help me documenting on the handbook.
>
> I don't buy the opinion that the handbook is totally outdated, all
> the features I added but stage are in the handbook including shebang
> fix ! so perhaps that can be improved but that is there.
>
> Before committing the stage support I made sure that all previous
> things has been documented.
>
> and sorry but my priority is to have the ports tree back into a sane
> state where we have consistency and sane packages, do documentation
> has much as I can and I try to avoid having too much latency for
> documentation.
>
> Bapt

I agree for the most part, the only suggestion I'd make is to reference
undocumented features in the Porter's Handbook and link to their Wiki
pages - that should be a matter of minutes and would make sure that
people starting from the handbook get the complete picture.
It's really hard for newcomers not following ports@ to find this bit of
information otherwise, especially since the Wiki is not that well
organized (staging is not even on the Wiki's frontpage). E.g.

Section X: Staging
Staging is mandatory for new ports, it's not documented in here yet,
but details can be found in the FreeBSD wiki (link to staging support
page).

--
Michael Gmelin