Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:35:52 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1016246153.a47ba3@mired.org>
To:        "Paul C. Boyle" <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing installed programs?

Paul C. Boyle <paulcb_mcse@yahoo.com> types:
> On March 10, 2002 02:27 pm, you wrote:
> > Paul C. Boyle <freebsdruns@yahoo.com> types:
> > > What is the best way to remove installed programs that were installed
> > > through the ports?
> > If you don't clean the ports, use "make deinstall" in the port
> > directory. If you do clean the ports, use "pkg_delete" on the
> > installed package.
> What do you mean by   clean the ports?

# cd /usr/ports/<category>/<portname.
# make clean

or similar.

> Some of my KDE is pooched.
> I installed from the 4.5 iso.  Most of KDE was not there so I installed what
> was missing from /stand/sysinstall using my 4.4 iso disk.  It seemed to work.
>  Now, my backgrounds disapear.  KDE file manager acts up.  When in icon mode,
> if I move the cursor over the icon area the file manager disapears.  I can
> fix it by going to View, View Mode, Detailed List View, or Text View, or Tree
> View.
> Whats the best way to go here, to get everything in working order?

I don't use KDE, or GNOME, or any of the other brick-makers people
like to cover their desktop with. Personally, I'd cvsup to the latest
ports, pkg-delete all the kde stuff, and rebuild it from scratch. But
that may not be the best way to do it.

	<mike