Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 02:37:15 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "P.U.Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Yet another RAID Question (YARQ)

Oh good, we have a customer that has been looking at one of these
for FreeBSD and I'm glad to hear that you didn't have problems with it.

With these all you get is hot-swap support although you might have
to do a camcontrol rescan after swapping the disk.

However, the RAID card
intelligence is supposed to operate independently of the disk driver
to do the remirroring or parity rebuilding.  In theory you should be able
to simply yank out a failed disk and slap in a replacement and the
operating
system shouldn't even notice anything.  No matter what the OS in use.

Actually, the Windows management tools for this raid controller on a
server are observational as well.  There is no rebuild tool or anything
like that.
When we set these systems up
for customers (All the recent Proliants use the same RAID controller)
we usually configure them RAID-5 with 4 physical disks, the setup will
set 3 of the disks in the array, and one a hot-spare.  And in the event
of a disk failure, which you can tell by looking at the disk drive
lights,
or going into the management interface, you simply pull out the bad disk
and put in the replacement and the RAID card takes care of the rest of
it.

As for knowing if a disk has failed,
I think the only way to know is to watch the little lights on the disk
front.
And that is true of the Windows tools also - unless you install a
complete
HP Systems Insight Manager console (generally on a separate machine)
which
talks to all your little HP servers that run the various HP-SIM agents
that talk to the raid card, etc.

If I were you I would test all this by pulling a disk and seeing what
happens.

HP just released a binary driver for this series of RAID cards for Linux
in May 2005.  It supports RedHat and Suse.  I do not know if they ship
software notification tools with this binary driver, or if it also talks
to a HP-SIM console.

Ted