Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:42:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Gareth Jones <freebsd@uberdog.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding KDE 2.2.2

/usr/ports/x11/kde2 has nothing in it except requirements for all the
other ports. So nothing would happen until you do make install. You never
said you did that.

The other things that can go wrong is that you have older versions of some
of the packages required by kde, e.g., Mesa, qt. You can check what all
the required packages are by going to http://freebsd.org/ports and search
for kde-2.2.2.

I just installed the package versions as a test and that works. You only
need  kdebase-2.2.2_1 and  kdelibs-2.2.2 plus all their requirements to
get enough bring it up for a look-see.

If you are going to compile everything it would be worth going to
www.kde.org and trying to find if there are any recommened compiler
options to make things better.

But if I read your post correctly 'make install' should start downloading
and compiling pulling in the dependencies as required. Depending on how
fast your system is it will be done in a day or so :) Install linux
support from /stand/sysinstall first if you have not already done that.

Another easier path would be to install the kde package from sysinstall if
that is kde 2.1. I am using 2.1.2. After looking at 2.2.2 I am inclined to
wait for kde 3.