Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2013 21:04:40 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which pkg repository with 9.1

On 02/04/13 20:55, Joshua Isom wrote:
> On 2/4/2013 8:34 PM, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
>>
>> I really think a message needs to go out on the announce list (as well
>> as ports@ and questions@, others as appropriate) about the fact there is
>> no official pkg repo at the moment. I'm constantly seeing emails about
>> this on this list.
>
> I changed to pkgng a couple weeks ago before realizing the "Security
> Incident" was holding up binary ports.  I used to install from source
> most of the time, and updates seemed to be required to be from source.
> But now it's just from source or nothing.  I want pkgng to help deal
> with some of the cruft that ends up occurring when installing ports that
> have a lot of dependencies.
>
> What's really annoying to me is that a clean install cluster, so
> presumably secure, could probably rebuild the whole ports tree in the
> time it's taken to get something available.

I've almost always built from source since I switched to FreeBSD (I
sometimes, during the initial installation, used pkgs), it's longer but
more reliable.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL
http://copyfree.org/licenses/owl/license.txt