Date:      Thu, 4 Sep 1997 00:08:12 -0400
From:      Brian Campbell <brianc@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-stable swap usage?

John S. Dyson wrote:
> Once the pages in MFS or any other process are paged out, those pages will be
> persistant in swap until the process exits (or the memory is explicitly
> deallocated by the process.)

Ok.  So, contrary to what Mike Smith says, pages that belonged to
a process that has since exited will no longer be marked in-use by
swap?

If they are still marked "in-use", is there a program other than
pstat that gives a more accurate picture of how many [active] pages
are in swap?

> MFS doesn't deallocate any of it's memory usage.

So, if 90% of MFS is consumed by files which are later unlinked
(and not in use by any process), is swap thereafter limited to 10%
of its original size?