Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:10:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        jesus.rodriguez@abaforum.es
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org (user alias)
Subject:   Re: router/gateway problem - Part 0 of 1

> Hi every body. I have little time using Freebsd 2.0.5 and Unix based systems
> (i've used IRIX from Silicon Graphics too). I've a web server and an uucp
> e-mail server in a machine with freebsd. In this box, i have two ethernet cards
> conected at two different networks (network A=192.0.1.0 and network
> B=192.0.2.0, these IP's are for local use and they don't go out to Internet,

If it's a private network which doesn't appear on the Internet
you should use one of the reserved numbers for this purpose:

192.168.x.x

> don't worry).

> Well, my problem is that i can't configure freebsd for comunicating both
> networks. I want a bridge, gateway, router???, (you can name it like you want),

A router (aka gateway), not a bridge.

> for comunicating the networks.
> I've tried to configure it, i have turned on the ipforwarding with:
>
>         sysctl -nw net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

This is correct if you are running 2.1.0R. For 2.0.5 you need
the kernel option

options  "GATEWAY"

and build a new kernel

> but i can't (and don't know) how to do it. I've readed man pages,free bsd hand
> book, doc's and a book about networks (Unix Networking), i've tried a lot of
> different configurations, add route commands, etc, but it's impossible.
>
> I think that maybe it's trivial for some people of this list, but not for me.
> please, ¿Can You Help Me?????. Where can i get information????.
> Thank's in advance...
>
> ¿There is more people using Free BSD in Spain???. Contact me, please...
> La informatica es cosa de locos
> e-mail:  jesusr#abaforum.es ; eb3eyh#abaforum.es
> packet: eb3eyh@eb3eyh.eab.esp.eu

When you are stup up with the above and still have problems configuring
the interfaces you can come back with private email.