Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:16:46 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Lakewebs <goad@lakewebs.net>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Request For Help

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

On Fri, Jan 19, 2001 at 07:55:06PM +1100, Greg Lehey wrote:
> [Format recovered--see http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html]
>=20
> On Friday, 19 January 2001 at  5:46:23 -0600, Lakewebs wrote:
> > Hello
> > My name is Ronald Goad.  As of last week I had a person that was
> > running or internet services dns and hosting.  Both boxes are running
> > on FreeBSD. This individual left in the middle of the night after
> > changing all access passwords.  Is there anyone who can assist me in
> > saving these systems.

Boot into single-user mode on the system console, and reset the
passwords to something known.

Then treat the system as having been compromised by a hostile intruder
who has left backdoors all over the place: copy off the data onto a
clean system (being careful of things like CGI scripts which also
might be compromised), and rebuild the system from scratch. Then take
legal action against the guy who did it to recover damages, if you
wish.

Kris

--=20
NOTE: To fetch an updated copy of my GPG key which has not expired,
finger kris@FreeBSD.org

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU--