Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 21:13:17 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Thomas Good <tomg@mailhost.nrnet.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP succeeds...DNS fails

On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 08:18:21AM -0400, Thomas Good wrote:
> Hi.  I have user PPP running and my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file is
> in order.  I can connect and telnet via IP.  But dns is failing
> despite my nameservers being listed in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Anyone know what I am missing?

First check to make sure that your /etc/host.conf file contains 'bind'
somewhere, which tells your resolver library to contact the name=servers
listed in resolv.conf after all the previous ways of resolving have failed.
My /etc/host.conf looks like:

	% cat /etc/host.conf
	hosts
	bind

Then, check the routing table.  You should have your default route pointing to
the ppp link.  View the routing table with:

	# netstat -rn

If your default route is not added, then you need to change your ppp.conf file
to set the routing table up when connecting.  This is usually done by the
following line in the `default' entry:

	default:
	  add default HISADDR

My 4.0-stable system has this by default, so if you haven't messed with your
`default' entry in ppp.conf you should have it too :)

Ciao,
Giorgos.