Date:      Sat, 12 May 2007 15:22:41 -1000
From:      NetOpsCenter <noc@hdk5.net>
To:        jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auto shutdown/restart software for FreeBSD?

jekillen wrote:

> Hello again;
> Is there software for ups auto shutdown and restart for use with a ups
> system that has the capacity; I.E. a serial connection and references
> in the manual to software (for Windows mostly) download? Currently
> I have a Vesta Pro 600 unit. I had one made by Minuteman that crapped
> out on me last night. It had been doing ok and was a replacement for one
> made by Tripp Lite, which also failed permanently. I am running one desk
> top FreeBSD system, headless but with high speed SCSI drives in addition
> to the boot drive. I am away during the week for at least 8 - 9 hours
> during
> the week and cant be there if the power goes down to shut the system
> down before the ups exhausts its battery.
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
> Jeff K.

Aloha Jekillen,

I had a similar problem here in  Hawaii with our 2  noc servers.  I
replaced the small UPS battery with a 100 amp stationery battery out
side the box. It now will run for about 10 hours if we have a power
outage for that long.

  + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org + noc@hdk5.net +
  + http://internetohana.org   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* +