Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2013 11:05:44 +0100
From:      Kai Gallasch <gallasch@free.de>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 - openldap slapd lockups, mutex problems

Am 22.01.2013 um 11:19 schrieb Kai Gallasch:
> Hi.
>=20
> (Im am sending this to the "stable" list, because it maybe kernel =
related.. )
>=20
> On 9.1-RELEASE I am witnessing lockups of the openldap slapd daemon.
>=20
> The slapd runs for some days and then hangs, consuming high amounts of =
CPU.
> In this state slapd can only be restarted by SIGKILL.

short update:

I tried all I could to isolate the problem.

What I am certain of is that the problem lies in the BDB backend for =
openldap itself, or how slapd interacts with it.
My knowledge is not sufficient to debug BDB itself, it appears to be =
quite a complex gearbox.

Also - as a sidenote - I had to learn that the new owner of BDB (orcle) =
does not give a toss about keeping old links to BDB documentation intact =
(for example informattion you'd need to tune your BDB - "DB_CONFIG" - or =
understand it better.)

In the end I decided to drop the BDB backend for my running slapd =
installations and switch over to MDB[1,2] as backend and since then the =
problems disappeared.

So if you are plagued by the same slapd lockups and rely on your ldap =
directory, switching backends will give you some peace of mind.

Thanks to all who have replied! And thanks to sleepycat for all the =
fish.

Kai Gallasch.

[1] http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/precise/man5/slapd-mdb.5.html
[2] http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/backends.html=