Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:01:38 -0400
From:      Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Running large DB's on FreeBSD

Greetings,

    I am in the process of implementing a fairly large mysql server for
an even larger company, and naturally i want to use FreeBSD. The
hardware will be an HP DL385, 2 x dual-core Opterons, 16GB RAM,  7 x 15k
rpm disks in a RAID5 setup. I'm not exactly informed as to the specific
workload yet, however i know the database will have several million rows
and be larger than 10GB.

    So, first of all, am i crazy for choosing fbsd+mysql for this rather
than something like Solaris + Oracle? :) Secondly, i am just looking for
some suggestions, opinions, success/failure story's that may help me
out. Is anyone out there using FreeBSD for something of this size? I am
hoping that everything will work out well, and the client will be happy.
This would generate some good PR for FreeBSD, as it is a very large
international company and it would be the first FreeBSD server (that i
know of) of this type there.

Thanks, any input will be appreciated.