Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 1997 07:54:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        ac199@freenet.hamilton.on.ca
Cc:        dg@root.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new all-time traffic record on wcarchive

Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, David Greenman wrote:
>
> > >   We set a new all-time one day traffic record on wcarchive yesterday. The
> > >stats are attached. Note that the numbers would have been even higher (by
> > >about 4GB) had a drive not failed and killed the machine an hour before the
> > >log rotation/stats generation.
> >
> >    Other miscellaneous info: The old record was 115GB and was set on August
> > 10th, 1996. This new record of 142.8GB beats out the old one by nearly 25%.
>
> Does the setting of this record happen to correspond to crl fixing some
> of its links (I refer to a short discussion ~week ago), or was it the
> release of FreeBSD 2.1.7, or was it...???

tim,
	are you trolling for flames?

	mci's connection to the pb-nap (going on memory here) has been
	chronically overloaded for months.  crl has installed additional
	leased lines (the new ones go to fix-west).  these new lines have
	provided an alternate route around  mci's connection to the pb-nap.

	so, crl took action to fix mci's brokenness.

	2.1.7 was released within hours of the new lines going operational.

jmb

ps.  the above is my understanding of the situation from various people
	and other sources.....none of these people work for mci, and so
	this may be all wrong ;)